4.04.2013

Happy Birthday Peyton!!!!


Dear Peyton, 

I've been your dad for two years now.  I know to you I seem like an expert by now, but I think it's time to let you in on a little secret... I have no idea what I'm doing!  I mean, I know to change your diaper, keep you fed, keep you away from harm, and to try not to curse when you are around, but the rest of it, yeah I'm just winging it.  I figure if I just play with you like crazy and make you laugh till you wet your diaper I'm doing something right.  Let's be honest though, making you laugh isn't so hard.  You are the happiest kid I know.  Your mouth is in a constant state of smile!  Lately, you have learned to laugh at yourself with this condescending giggle that makes me think you are going to be seriously funny when you grow up.  I love going for a walk with you practically every morning before work (especially when you tell me you want to go before I ask.) and getting hugs and kisses from you when I walk through the door after work.  I love hearing you ask question after question and discover the world around you.  I love when you ask me to "tickle you, please!" and say out of the blue "I love you Daddy!"

You are such an amazing kid.  So curious about everything you see and touch.  So sweet and loving to everyone around you.  I am so blown away about how much you know and how much you want to know more.  You talk incessantly!! And the words that come out of your mouth are so far beyond what I thought you would be saying at this age. "Bye Daddy! Have a good day at work!", "Have fun exercising!", "What did Mommy actually do?", "Daddy!! Come throw you on the bed!"  It melts my heart and blows my mind at the same time.  I seriously can't get enough of you!  Just check out this video of our walk just the other day.




Everyday you learn something new, say something new, and experience something new and every day I get to be a part of it.  I am so proud to be your father.  Your mom and I are so proud to be your parents.  Despite the fact that I am learning every day how to be your Dad, I promise to continue to do the best that I can.  I pray daily that God watches over you and you grow up to be a strong woman in His image.  I will keep changing your diaper until you don't need them anymore, keep feeding you, will still keep you out of harms way, and will still try not to curse in front of you, but I will also keep encouraging you to try new things, keep teaching you to do what is right and avoid what is wrong, and keep loving you no matter what.  

Happy Birthday, Peyton Reese Johnson!

Love,

Your Dad

No comments: