2.25.2013

Ragnar Training Update


For those following along at home, here are a few tid-bits about what is going on with my Ragnar training.

I have been at this for about six weeks now.  When I started, I could barely run a mile without feeling like my lungs were going to explode and my heart pop right of my chest where it would then land in front of me and I could literally watch myself step on it.  How's that for a picture?  But now, I am up to about 5.5 miles (27 miles so far this month!) at a time and feel pretty dang good through most of it.  I am battling some serious calf and shin tightness, but with a fair amount of icing and stretching, its getting easier to pack on the miles each week.  The other night I was in about mile 3 when I totally stopped thinking about how far I had run, or how far I still needed to go, and just got into the groove of running.  I had some good tunes going, a good stride and felt really good about just running.  It wasn't super fast by comparison to actual runners, but it was huge for me.  5.5 miles has been my longest run to date, but each week that number grows just a little bit more.  This week I am slated to take that 5.5 to 6 and mix in a few sprint drills to help run faster longer.  Let's hope the shins and calves keep up with my pace.

All the running is actually becoming fun and something I (sort of) look forward to each week.  While I still have a long way to go before I reach my goal or before I would actually call myself a runner, I am starting to understand it a little more.  It is definitely something that I can see myself doing more of, even past this upcoming relay.  At first it kind of sucked out there all by myself running on the sidewalk, but as I get more and more into it, it really is cleansing.  I find myself praying, making mental checklists of things I either need to do or still want to do, and just enjoying being outside.  Since most of my runs are in the evening after work, I am looking forward to getting out on some trails during the day now that I feel like I can actually make it back from wherever I might go.  This running thing is more fun than I had originally thought!  I might, dare I say it, try to sign up for a few races a year to keep something in front of me to help keep motivated to run and get better at running.  We'll see how I feel after I actually run a ton of miles in one day.  

This particular race is to benefit FaithQuest Missions and the work they do sending people all across the planet to spread The Word.  I have committed to raise $1,000.00 for this race and still have a ways to go.  This is where I need your help.  No, I'm not asking you to run with me (although if you want to I sure won't stop you!).  I am asking you to come along side me and donate a little bit to an organization trying to do their part in spreading God's Word.  Each year, FathQuest sends people all over the world and has seen tremendous impact through their efforts.  I encourage you to take a look at their website and see for yourself the network they have created and the work God is doing through them.  When you're done there, please go on over to my page to donate to help me help them.

No comments: