1.17.2013

Challenge Accepted!


It’s 2013, can you freaking believe it?!  When I was a kid I would have sworn that we would all have flying cars and be travelling daily to outer space by now.  What I wouldn’t have sworn to was that I would have an amazing wife and daughter that I would happily take a bullet for.  It goes to show that life isn’t always predictable.   But that’s what makes it fun, right?  I mean, I’ve never been a runner.  Sure I’ve run before, but I would never have called myself a runner.  I’ve secretly always wanted to be a runner, but never wanted to feel like I’m about to die.  (They seem to go hand-in-hand from my perspective.) I have enjoyed going for a run from time-to-time and have even come to enjoy running long distances when I’m in shape for it.   Never, though, in my wildest imagination would I have ever thought I would actually enlist to run multiple times in a 24-hour period.  But that’s what I did. 

Back in November, 2012 my buddy Jordan Gash asked me if I would join his team for the Ragnar Relay in April 2013.  Lucky for him I had just made a resolution to say ‘Yes’ to more things, so I said yes.  This means that I am going to have to run 3 legs of a 36-leg relay race, spanning 200 miles, over the course of 24-hours.  What a challenge!! If I play my cards right and am nice to my team captain (Jordan), I’m hoping to end up with a spot that gives me a total of a little over 14 miles spread out over 3 different legs.  I am looking forward to pushing myself, experiencing something new, and just having a good time.  But most of all I am excited to be a part of Jordan’s team and helping to raise some money for his organization: FaithQuest Missions. 

Jordan is a missionary for FaithQuest Missions.  He takes churches and people all over the world to spread the Word of God and share the Good News of Jesus Christ.  FaithQuest is determined to be a catalyst to mobilize people and their churches to put their faith into action. They are ready for action and follow the principals of Mark 16:15 and Matthew 28:19-20 and step into a great faith-adventure trip to places where together they can love God, love others, and have a blast!  If you have ever met Jordan Gash there is no way you can’t have a blast.  For more information on his organization head on over to his website and check it out. 

As part of my commitment to this organization, not only did I sign up to run a heck-of-a lot of miles, but I also signed up to raise $1,000 for them.  This is where you come in.  Just like I can’t run 200 miles in 24-hours on my own, I can’t afford to shell out $1,000 all willy-nilly like.  I need your help.  If you can, I am asking you to help support this organization and their goals by donating whatever you can toward their cause, and ultimately toward the pain I will endure to run all those miles.  It would be awesome if we can surpass the $1,000 commitment and do something really special for a great cause. 

I am really looking forward to this challenge in my life.  I know it’s going to be a lot of hard work, but knowing that my hard work is going to help send people around the world to further the Kingdom of God is totally worth every second of training, every drop of sweat, and every moment I feel like I am going to die.  Care to join me in my journey?

No comments: